Games, drumming, juggling, home improvements, cooking, comics, dogs, macs, music, etc.


Squall - probably of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse skval: useless chatter (Merriam-Webster)
It's my goal to have the LONGEST blog pages around. Kind of.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

DTXMania and Youtube

I've been you-tubed.
I didn't do this video, but all the exercises shown in the video I programmed up. He played them all on 'auto' which means the computer is playing the notes, but you can hear what it is supposed to sound like. And he played them all on the FASTEST setting, for time concerns, I am sure. The shuffles don't sound so good at 160 BPM.. Maybe I should take that speed out.. lol.

The program is called DTXMania, and I decided that with the RockBand / Guitar Hero fad going on, there is an opportunity to use this technology for learning, too. So, I started writing basic exercises and rudiments, and put them out there on some drum forums to see what the response would be like. So far, it's pretty limited, but Billkwondo seems to really like them a lot! So, that's something.

I plan to add more stuff as I go along, but here's some links for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvYceCLjzo - The YouTube video showing snippets of the exercises.
https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/43816/DTXFiles.zip - The DTXMania files of the rudiments shown in the video

http://www.donburi.to/~from/dtxmania/download.html - Download DTXMania


I think this might be the shortest post by me so far...

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for releasing the rudiment pack for DTXMania - they're useful both for practicing (I'm learning to drum, but I've only been at it a short while) and for teaching my friends how to recognise patterns and use sticking techniques to play them (purely for the purposes of playing Rock Band/Guitar Hero in their cases, but it's still a lot of fun).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's who I did them for - new drummers! I am so very glad you like them. if you want some that I don't have, I am looking for requests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    First of all, thank you very much for providing this great tool for beginning drummer like me!

    I'm looking forward to get more phrases, including 16-beat variations, fill patterns and so on

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Exactly what I was looking for. Was about to write something like this on my own by seems you beat me to it.

    I'm just learning to play, so this helps a lot. Perhaps, if you have time, could you also consider adding Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" material to DTX format? Here's a link to his site and sample charts:

    http://www.vicfirth.com/education/drumset/GrooveEssentials.html

    I can mail you the full charts and help with playtesting if you're planning on taking this on.

    Thanks again,

    Alo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I have been learning drums mainly by playing DTX-mania songs and practicing your rudiments for over 2 years now! 4-7 hours a day for the last 8 months.
    I'm convinced this is the future way of learning drums and any instrument. Already thinking of picking up guitar as well as rocksmith has been released for learning guitar.

    I'm thirsty for more rudiments and learning material for DTX-mania, right now I'm practicing a lot of Benny Grebs Language of drums material together with a drum-teacher twice a weak. Much harder to get it nailed without 5-7 hours playing a game! =)
    It would be hard to ask for any specific rudiment when I feel like I have to practice them all but if I would pick one it would be:
    The bass-drum-letters at page 18-19 here:
    http://orangecountydrumlesson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/2010102735533616.pdf
    It would make a diffrence in my life if you could upload that :)

    As I said, any rudiment is good news, the HARDER the better...

    Thanks what you have done so far!
    Eventually I have to start make my own dtx-files just waited for my drumskills to catch up with me to understand what I'm doing.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Squall for yourself!